Sunday, September 12, 2010

Sweet Potatoes, Pie Crust, and Eggs OH MY!

So this afternoon, I decided to try my hand at making some homemade brown sugar and cinnamon poptarts.  I had seen a recipe for strawberry lemon poptarts, so I figured I would follow the same basic principle and make my own version.  First of all, rolling out a Pillsbury pie crust into a square shape is HARD WORK.  After working with the dough and cutting it and peeling it off of my rolling pin, I finally cut it into ten rectangles.  After filling each one with a brush of melted butter and the brown sugar and cinnamon mixture, they were  ready for their egg wash and to be put in the oven.  15 minutes later and TA DA!

Gooey filling and flaky crust.  YUM!

So, I still had the matter of that egg left.  It called for one egg for an egg wash but I basically still had an egg leftover.  Remembering sweet potatoes I had recently bought, I decided to make....SWEET POTATO BISCUITS!  (Yes, I realize it is ok to throw out an egg, but I tend avoid wasting things, even eggs.)

Let me tell you, that dough was STICKY and hard to work with.  I'm pretty sure I got dough everywhere (the floor, the counter, my shirt, my feet, the faucet, the flour canister, the toaster, and...well you get the picture).  As I shoved the cookie sheet into the oven, I grumbled to myself that these better be worth the effort and mess.  Well, 20 minutes and a mouthful of biscuit later, my decision was made.  Totally worth the effort!

So beautiful and tasty

My only issue with these biscuits is that you can't taste enough sweet potato.  So Next time, I am definitely using extra sweet potato and brown sugar to give them a TRUE sweet potato taste.  

Now, time to get back to what I am supposed to be doing...studying for my Praxis II exam on Saturday.  YIKES!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Camille! Wasn't sure how to get ahold of you to answer your question about sub for the pizza crust- you can most def sub that out! Take pride in tweaking a recipe :) Happy cooking, and good luck on your exam tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete