Sunday, August 29, 2010

I have GOT to share this recipe

So I had a bunch of bananas that were getting overly ripe.  And I remembered that overly ripe bananas are perfect for baking.  So, I found a recipe for banana cupcakes...yes, cupcakes.  I was going to make banana bread, but after watching Masterchef, I wanted cupcakes.  This past episode, they had to make cupcakes.  And boy, it made me hungry!  So, I found a recipe.  My next problem was, what do I do for icing?  I didn't want to do plain old vanilla or chocolate (boring).  I was going to do peanut butter frosting but I have natural PB that's more runny than solid.  Then, I thought "CINNAMON!".  Only trouble was I couldn't find a recipe for cinnamon frosting.  Well, turns out my grandmother had the PERFECT recipe!

Pre-icing
They didn't rise up very tall


LOTS of cinnamon icing


All 12 of my beautiful cupcakes!

Banana Cupcakes:

Ingredients:

3/4  cup  granulated sugar, divided
  • 1/2  cup  mashed ripe banana
  • 1/4  cup  butter or stick margarine, softened
  • 1  teaspoon  vanilla extract
  • 2  large eggs
  • 1  cup  all-purpose flour
  • 1/2  teaspoon  baking soda
  • 1/4  teaspoon  salt
  • 1/4  teaspoon  ground nutmeg
  • 1/4  cup  plain yogurt
Directions:

Preheat oven to 350°.
To prepare cupcakes, combine 1/4 cup granulated sugar and banana; set aside. Beat 1/2 cup granulated sugar, butter, and 1 teaspoon vanilla at medium speed of a mixer until well-blended (about 3 minutes). Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add banana mixture to sugar mixture, beating well. Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg in a bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Add flour mixture to sugar mixture alternately with yogurt, beginning and ending with flour mixture; mix after each addition.
Spoon batter into 12 muffin cups lined with paper liners. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.
Cinnamon Icing

2 cups confectioner's sugar
2 tbsp milk
2 tbsp butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp cinnamon

No comments:

Post a Comment