Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Strawberry Pie

So today I made something from scratch...WITHOUT reading a recipe as I cooked.  This was a first!  Usually I check, double check, and triple check the recipe and have it right in front of me to reference.  But today, I winged it!!!!

The recipe in question?  Strawberry pie!

Doesn't it look amazing???  I had some difficulty with the crust though...


This is what's underneath all of that cool whip

So I sampled a tiny piece (I made the majority of it for my mom-she's coming to visit me this Friday to take me to lunch).  And I must say, it's good.  But not as good as my mom's or grandmother's when they make it.  Regardless, here is the recipe!

Camille's Strawberry Pie

Ingredients:
  • 1 Pillsbury pie crust
  • 2 quarts of Driscoll's organic strawberries (1 lb containers)
  • 4 tbsp cornstarch
  • 1 cup sugar
Directions:
  1. Bake the pie crust as directed on box
  2. Take half your strawberries and cut the tops off.  Place on plate for later.  Take other half of your strawberries, cut the tops off, then slice into smaller pieces.  Mash until pretty much mush.
  3. In saucepan, pour strawberry mush, sugar, and cornstarch.  Mix on medium high heat until mixture becomes thick, stirring the entire time (to prevent from sticking to bottom of pan).
  4. Once pie crust has cooled, plate whole, topless strawberries flat/topless side down in crust until bottom is covered.  Then, pour liquid mixture evenly over top.
  5. If desired, cover top with cool whip or whipped cream.  Garnish with additional strawberries if you so desire.
  6. Refrigerate for 3-4 hours until set.  Then, enjoy!



Easy isn't it?  Let me know how it turns out if you make it!  Comments are desired, and welcomed!!


No comments:

Post a Comment